P E R S O N A L
- Who are you? My name is Tsutsumi Hoang. I am a content creator and blog on CANDID THAT. Sometimes happy, sometimes a bit melancholy. Sometimes drinking green tea, sometimes prefer black bitter coffee. Sometimes talking about my feelings, sometimes drawing my emotions. Sometimes reading, sometimes people watching. Shy most of the time, and rarely a social butterfly.
- Where are you from? What is your ethnicity? I am Norwegian, born and raised in Oslo, the capital of Norway. However, my background is Vietnamese.
- How do you pronounce your name? “Sue-Sue-Me”. It is a Japanese surname.
- Is it your real name? Yes.
- But is it REALLY your name, though? I just rolled my eyes so hard, I saw my brain.
- Do you have any nicknames? Tsu. Tsumi. Somei. Mi. Sashimi. Sue.
- How old are you? I am 22 years old born 13th June 1995.
- How tall are you? 5’2.
- Are you an introvert or an extrovert? I am an introvert.
- What is your favourite thing to do when you are by yourself? I enjoy listening to soothing music and just draw. It is my kind of therapy.
- What are your top 3 favourite things (not necessarily materialistic)? Well…
Breakfast. Breakfast in bed. Breakfast while watching the sunrise. Half-ass breakfast on my way out the door to catch the bus. Breakfast made by someone dear. Breakfast with someone. Breakfast with no one. A late breakfast. A sneaky 3am breakfast. Hangover breakfast. Simply, breakfast. It is the first meal of the day that I look the most forward to. The one thing that determines if my day goes up or down. I’m telling you, I’m not a happy person to be around if I have not had my morning meal. Bon appétit!
City bikes. I still long for those never-ending summer days when the sun would not set until 11pm. We would bike around the city exploring the charming streets and hidden spots of Oslo. Us, João Gilberto playing in my ears, and idyllic sceneries flashing by.
Bikes & Nature. There is nothing more calming than a morning bike around my neighbourhood in Oslo. Whenever I feel stressed out and want to unplug from my daily routine, I like to reconnect with nature.
Mid-summer days on my porch in little Oslo. Sunbathing during the hottest time of the day. Dance around in a little red dress to my “Baguette & Croissant” playlist on Spotify. Eat a bit, drink a bit, and read a bit. Spy on the neighbours. They have an apple tree, but so do I.
Sydney sunsets from my apartment. It is simply magic. On days when I feel down, the warm hues keeps me at ease.
Coffee hangs from noon till late night. In Oslo, some cafes are open until late at night. It is not like in Sydney where everything close at 3pm sharp. I kinda miss the me-time coffee hang outs, or a quick catch up with my dearest. To be honest, I am such a wimp when it comes to unfamiliar things and new environment. That might explain why I still have not found my go-to cafe in Sydney yet. I am working on it, though.
When a movie, a conversation or a book is so good that it makes you tear up.
It was more than three nonmaterialistic favourites of mine. I could go on and on, but let’s just leave it at that. I really enjoy the little things you see.
- What is your favourite thing of Autumn? 17.10.2014. It was a rainy day and exceptionally gloomy, yet my best friend and I went to a rock concert. It was my first time seeing The 1975 perform live. I was not a fan or anything, in fact, I had only listened to a few songs from their album. However, when the lights came on and the band started to play I was mesmerised by the music.
I am not sure what exactly happened that night, but I keep associating Autumn with The 1975. My favourite thing to do around this time is listening to Matthew’s pleasant voice on the bus. An afternoon, when everyone is on their way home. The sun has already set. The last days of summer transitioning into fall. I think the ambience goes well with the music.
Every year around this time, even though I am on the other side of the world, and the seasons turned upside down; I still find myself listening to The 1975.
B U T T E R F L I E S
- Will you go on a date with a guy from Instagram if asked politely?
- Are you single? Yes.
- Why are you still single? I don’t think it is a bad thing being single, and relationships are a beautiful thing. Until a special someone comes along, I will be watching our favourite TV Shows by myself.
M Y S I S T E R & I
- Are you guys twins? No, but it sure feels like we are! Alexandra is one year older than me. Our birthday’s are in the same month and only days apart.
- Do you and Alexandra have Vietnamese names? Alexandra’s Vietnamese name is Hoàng Lan. Mine is Thủy Tiên. However, we rarely use it. Our Vietnamese names are only used by close family and distant relatives. Actually, we hear “Alek” and “Somi” way more often than our Viet names.
- Are you and Alexandra planning on moving back to Norway someday or to another country? Alexandra is currently on a student visa that expires next year, while I am on a working holiday visa for one year. We plan on heading home to Norway as this is home to us. However, Alexandra and I have been talking a lot about extending our stay living abroad. Singapore, Vietnam and The United States has been in the talks, but we will see. There are so many possibilities when you are young and have no obligations tying you down.
- How close are you to the Vietnamese culture? Could you imagine living there? We can both speak and understand Vietnamese, but rarely speak the language with others with the exception of family members as we get very shy. Our vocabulary is very limited. During our last visit in Vietnam, we had no problem communicating in Vietnamese when shopping and exploring the cities, but during business meetings we kept it in English to speak more confidently and get a better flow while communicating. In regards to if we could see ourselves living there; yes, that could be a possibility. The country is experiencing a shift in living standards and everything seems to be so modernised and the business is booming. If we see it as a good opportunity, living there would just be a great investment to our career.
O T H E R S T O R I E S
- What camera do you use? Olympus PEN E-PL8. 25mm lense.
- What lighting/beauty ring light do you use? Aurora ring light by Spectrum.
- Do you have a playlist for your french songs? Baguette & Croissant.
- What is your favourite song at the moment? I’m in the mood for some R&B. Get You (feat. Kali Uchis) – Daniel Caesar, Honey – Kehlani, Tyrant (feat. Jorja Smith) – Kali Uchis.
- What editing apps do you use? VSCO is hands down my all time favourite editing app. VSCO have a wide range of presets and tools you can play with. If you’re a VSCOX member you will get access to all the presets and even filters for videos. A close second is Adobe Photoshop Lightroom. One of the things that I like about Lightroom is the “Selective Colour” tool. With the selective tool I get to edit the brightness, saturation and selective colours on a specific area.
- What are your favourite presets on VSCO? I have so so so many…
A4, C4, V8, C8, C3, A6 are my go-to Instagram presets. I like to add warmth to my photos and have been using C8 a lot lately. I usually stick to using only one of them for a month or so, and after a while I switch it up.
When I am feeling artistic I tend to steer toward B1, V4 & Nike Sportswear tech Pack. It gives the photo a creative touch and lots of character.
- How do you create digital handwritten titles/illustrations? I use “Procreate” which is a painting app made exclusively for iPad Pro. Keep in mind that you will need an Apple Pencil to draw with. Procreate is a game changer for my creative content. It is so easy to work with especially when you are on the go. One of my favourite vloggers, Claire Marshall, made a video on how to use Procreate. Only Claire could make an instructional video that is both helpful and aesthetically beautiful. Show her some love, guys – HERE.
- How do you edit your photos? I had SO many questions about how I edit my photos so I will make a step-by-step tutorial in another blog post. Patience, my hearts.
S O C I A L M E D I A
- Instagram – www.instagram.com/xoxotsumi @xoxotsumi
- Snapchat – @tsutsumihoang
- Soundcloud – www.soundcloud.com/tsutsumi-hoang
- Spotify – @tsutsumihoang
- Tumblr – www.xoxotsumi.tumblr.com
- Youtube – www.youtube.com/candidthat
Beauty, fashion, travel, and career related questions will be up in my next Q&A.
Talk to you very soon.